Friday, December 7, 2007

Goodbye to my Father


Today was an emotional landmark for me and my family as we went out to sea today to scatter Dad's ashes. Dad had many passions in his life, two of which were the water and space. Today we took Dad to one of those passions to forever become a part of the ocean. With every wave that rolls across the sea, and every piece of life that the ocean sustains, I will forever be able to remember my father. It was emotional day for the family, and I'm glad that we could be together for it. It's a bit hard for me to write about now, but I'm sure the words will come someday soon. Goodbye Pop. I love you, I miss you, and I promise... I'll make you proud!

The second of Dad's wishes was to become part of Space. That will occur with a launch in the late winter or early spring. A small capsule of Dad's ashes will be launched into space along with others who desired to have the "Final Frontier" as a part of their final resting place. God speed.

My trail begins soon, and I think a large part of this adventure is a tribute to my father. He was more than just my dad, as are most fathers to their sons and daughters. He was my friend. He was my mentor. He was my coach. And he was my lifeguard. Part of me mourns that those things were taken away so early, but a bigger part knows that my father's greatest gift was to prepare me properly for all that world can throw at you. In a way, it's as if he was preparing me for this from day one. He was preparing me for that day in the future when we would have to say goodbye, and I would have to stand on my own two feet instead of on his shoulders. Although sad, it's also a time to be thankful for having a father that prepares and loves his children. Too often in this world children are forced to learn without such a guide. I am forever grateful to have had a teacher, a coach... a father like Ed Stewart. Until we meet again Pop...THANK YOU!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't remember at this moment...it's on the tip of my tongue the author...but someone once said, "There's a destiny that makes us brothers. No man goes his way alone. What we send into the life of others, comes back into our own." It is clear Dave that your father sent peace, wisdom, a craving for adventure, and a longing for understanding into your life. You may not realize it but have already begun the process of passing that forward to others. You are admired, cherished, and loved.

Mark, Jocena, Michael, and Meg Avery

Anonymous said...

I know your Dad is proud of you for the hard issues and decisions you've dealt with in the last few months. It's very hard to make changes, but you have already had the strength to begin on a new venture, and with your mind, talent, and many abilities, I know you'll be successful in all you seek.

I'll be with you every step of the way, as your Dad is, cheering you on and loving you. m